In 2019, I wrote a blog article about the list of technologies I didn't know yet. It's been a year on from then and this is an update to the list as well as listing out the technologies I want to learn this year to improve as a software developer.
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR
- Webpack: This is a complicated topic to understand. I eventually got around to learning it and have a grasp at what it's all about. I can say it went well, I even built a webpack config. It was a worthy experience, to say the least.
- Nuxt: Nuxt is a server-side framework for Vue. I started learning about it when I decided I wanted to know more about Vue ecosystem. I enjoyed it. It was like sugar-flavour added on top of Vue. If you are familiar with Vue, I encourage you to give it a try.
- TypeScript: TypeScript was one of hottest topic in Web development. People couldn't stop talking about it and I finally decided to give it a try. Learning TypeScript was difficult for me. It could be because of the material I was using or something else. It wasn't a good experience but I'll try again.
TECHNOLOGIES I WANT TO LEARN
- Python: I will be devoting ample time to learning Python very well. It's becoming increasingly difficult to ignore with machine learning and data science in your face every time.
- TypeScript: I tried this last year and it didn't go well. I want to give it another shot. I have noticed TypeScript is commonly used with React nowadays, every repo I turn to is written with TypeScript and many more are in the process of conversion. As a software developer, I guess you must devote time and learn it as well.
- GraphQL: Well, it's about time, isn't it? With the emergence of static sites such as Gatsby and Gridsome which I'm familiar with, it's easier to get up to speed with GraphQL. I'm only familiar with REST concept when building APIs but GraphQL has come a long way and will soon become the de-facto way of writing APIs not to include the fact that job adverts list it out as a technology to be familiar with.
These are the major technologies I want to devote time to learn this year. Although I have other interests such as React Native, Nextjs, Data Structures and Algorithms, DevOps, AWS, Azure, Severless technologies such as Amplify, etc. and generally getting better at problem solving.
I hope to take it one step at a time and ensure I do my best to complete my goals. Writing articles and building projects are the best ways for me to solidify my knowledge of what I'm learning, so these are the steps I'll be taking to ensuring my time learning the technologies is worth it.
If you find any error or typo in this article, please feel free to edit on Github.
If this was helpful, interesting, or caused some other positive emotion, please share!